SAN ANTONIO, TX (September 6, 2023) – Visit San Antonio’s Chief Operating Officer, Dave Krupinski, will receive one of the Texas tourism industry’s greatest recognitions this October, the Texas Travel Alliance’s (TTA) 2023 Tall in Texas Award. The Tall in Texas Award is presented annually to an individual nominated from the TTA membership for their outstanding contributions to the Texas Travel and Tourism Industry and to the Texas Travel Alliance.
“Those of us who are lucky to work day in and day out with Dave know of his commitment and passion for our industry,” said Visit San Antonio President and CEO Marc Anderson. “He is a driven professional whose contributions continue to lift our destination – for example, he led San Antonio’s successful IPW 2023 effort which will have a lasting impact on our city and state for years to come.”
Erika Boyd, President and CEO of the Texas Travel Alliance said “Tall in Texas is a highly desired award that is bestowed annually to an industry professional whose commitment to and influence upon Travel and Tourism has changed the face of the industry on a local, regional or state-wide level. The recipient’s history of involvement with the Texas Travel Alliance, experience and contributions to the Texas Travel Industry, and demeanor exhibits the highest degree of professionalism, dedication and hospitality. We could not be more proud to count Dave among the Tall in Texas ranks!”
For three decades, Krupinski has been an impact player in the destination management organization, hotel and attraction sectors. As the Chief Operating Officer of Visit San Antonio, he helps oversee a tourism landscape that welcomes 34.8 million visitors annually. His current strategic oversight areas include tourism development, air service development, partnerships, government relations and the River Walk Operations functions for the organization.
His versatility and deep passion for what he does includes proactive roles in several professional organizations including the U.S. Travel Association and the Texas Travel Alliance – where he has served on the board of directors, the executive committee, and chaired the forward planning committee where such statewide issues as casino gambling, transportation and sustainability were tackled.
His leadership is extremely impactful for San Antonio, with a focus on international positioning, future growth, destination and team development. Some highlights include:
- Overall visionary and lead for a tremendously successful IPW 2023, the nation’s largest generator of international travel to the United States. Per organizer the U.S. Travel Association, “While many cities have top accolades in various aspects of IPW, few hold the title of best all-around, and....San Antonio is wearing that crown.” (Malcolm Smith, U.S. Travel Association’s SVP of Business Development & General Manager IPW.
- Part of the leadership team for Visit San Antonio’s 2016 transition from a public municipal entity to a 501C6 private organization.
- Assisted in the creation of San Antonio’s Tourism Improvement District which has had a significant impact on the organization’s budget.
- Critical role with San Antonio’s air service development at San Antonio International and the long-term growth of the city’s air service.
- Developed a strategic global plan that will propel San Antonio’s branding and promotion in existing and first-time entry into several new international markets through 2030.
- Led Visit San Antonio’s partnership in the successful 2015 bid for UNESCO World Heritage Site status for the city’s historic Spanish colonial missions, the only designated site in Texas.
- Led the organization through the pandemic and the epic Texas winter storm of 2021, all while keeping the organization intact and the destination hosting mega-event such as Women’s Final Four.
- Embraced the industry’s role as part of the Alamo Plan Community Advisory Committee (a $500 million project overseeing the preservation and development of the top visitor attraction in Texas.)
Prior to coming to San Antonio, Dave served as the Vice President of Tourism for what is now Visit Dallas, where he was responsible for tourism development, cultural tourism, special event and attractions development, international strategic plans and air service development. Before Visit Dallas, his work included AMR Travel Services on behalf of Hilton Hotels Corporation for a new global distribution system and also worked at various Hilton properties. His tourism career began with Cedar Point theme park.
He is a graduate of the University of Toledo, where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Individual Studies, Hotel/Restaurant Administration. He also holds an Associate's Degree in Food Service Management.
Krupinski will receive the Tall in Texas award at the Texas Travel Summit, TTA’s Annual Convention next month in El Paso. Image can be found here.
# # #