San Antonio Overview
San Antonio at a Glance Fact Sheet
- Seventh largest and one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S.
- Host to more than 39 million visitors a year, including 31.1 million overnight guests
- Home to the River Walk – a 15-mile network of stone paths along the San Antonio River that connect hotels, shops, restaurants, theaters and more
- Has the largest concentration of Spanish colonial architecture in North America, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, that includes five 18th century missions. The city also has the oldest active cathedral sanctuary in the U.S.
- Designated a UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy in November 2017, only the second city in the U.S. to receive the designation.
- Home to The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) – one of only three campuses in the country; including a focus on Latin American cuisine
- Known for the Alamo, the number one tourist attraction in Texas and one of the city’s five Spanish colonial missions.
- Entertains with top theme parks: SeaWorld San Antonio, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Morgan’s Wonderland – the world’s largest ultra-accessible theme park designed for those with special needs
- Offers nationally acclaimed museums including two Smithsonian affiliates
- Recognized for events including Fiesta San Antonio, Luminaria: Contemporary Arts Festival, Culinaria Food & Wine Festival, the Conjunto Music Festival and the largest Día De Los Muertos celebration in the U.S.
- Birthplace of Tex-Mex – experience it in the city’s culture, art, music and cuisine
- Leading golf destination with more than 50 golf courses, many noted among the nation’s best
- Destination for professional sports teams: San Antonio Spurs (NBA), San Antonio FC (USL) and San Antonio Missions (MiLB)
- Top industries include healthcare/bioscience, manufacturing, IT, tourism and aerospace
- Host to eight universities including Division I schools the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) and University of the Incarnate Word, as well as the Alamo College System
Media information, photos and video: media.visitsanantonio.com
About Visit San Antonio:
Visit San Antonio is a 501(c)6, and serves as the sales and marketing arm of San Antonio as a leading leisure and meetings destination. San Antonio welcomes approximately 39 million visitors annually. Hospitality is one of the top five industries in the city, contributing $15.2 billion into the local economy annually and employing 140,000. More information can be found at VisitSanAntonio.com.