Modern retreat on the River Walk will bring a new vision, unexpected settings to charming Texas city
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (November 10, 2020) — Thompson San Antonio announced today the new lifestyle hotel is accepting reservations for stays March 1, 2021 and beyond. Situated in a luxury mixed-use development, The Arts Residences, on the banks of the San Antonio River, Thompson San Antonio is expected to redefine the city’s skyline and bring modern sophistication to the Texas Hill Country when it opens on the celebrated River Walk.
Located in the creative Arts District, steps from Tobin Center for the Performing Arts and within walking distance to The Alamo, The Arts Residences will be home to the new 20-story Thompson Hotels property along with luxury condominiums, capturing the contemporary spirit of this historic Texas city. City and Hill Country views will be a hallmark of the new hotel’s 162 guestrooms, including 33 suites including a penthouse suite designed for entertaining. Thompson San Antonio’s captivating public spaces will include a signature restaurant helmed by one of San Antonio’s most celebrated chefs who will be announced at a later date, a soaring rooftop bar inspired by the Greek goddess of the moon, an expansive pool deck with a bar and cabanas, a full-service spa, and 10,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
“As we prepare to open our doors in 2021, we are excited to welcome guests, World of Hyatt members, customers and the San Antonio community to discover Thompson San Antonio’s southern hospitality, world-class service, groundbreaking design and in-the-know social scene,” said Ted Knighton, general manager, Thompson San Antonio. “We are proud to bring a fresh take on contemporary, tailored hospitality to the San Antonio market, where an elevated lifestyle experience like Thompson San Antonio will be the first of its kind.”
Modern Crafted Design That Welcomes and Connects
Thompson San Antonio will offer tailored luxury across residential-style indoor and outdoor spaces. Inspired by the sophisticated fabric of modern San Antonio, interior design firm Amass & G set out to create a magnetic and open gathering place where world travelers, locals and neighbors can connect and seek stimulation. Handcrafted materials, including natural parota wood and custom handstitched leather, meet striking contemporary furnishings, with Texas inspired touches. The interiors will rely on bold design elements, intriguing materials and textures, as well as bespoke furniture and the curated works of regional artists throughout.
Thompson San Antonio Highlights
- Arrival & Lobby – Guests will arrive at Thompson San Antonio through a vestibule that establishes the hotel’s dramatic interior ambiance, which will serve as a refreshing and unexpected contrast to the sparkling River Walk. A sculptural staircase with handrails wrapped in hand-stitched leather will lead to the lobby where a dynamic setting unfolds: dark floors with abstract rugs; wood, black granite and rusted Corten steel paneled walls in a chevron pattern; intimate lighting; mix-matched furniture with rich textures and bursts of color; wood case goods including a bookcase that accompanies a fire pit; and circular columns each wrapped in an artisan brass belt will tempt all who enter to stay in the moment.
- Guest Rooms & Suites – The hotel’s 162 guest rooms, including 33 suites, will offer a striking sense of place with floor-to-ceiling views of the San Antonio skyline and the Texas Hill Country. Ranging from 350 to 2,400 square feet, rooms will feature contemporary furnishings such as custom sofas; sleek equestrian touches, including brown leather and buckle pillow back headboards in some rooms and a row of wooden closet doors; entirely bespoke case goods including thoughtful entertainment centers; handsome wet bars in suites; and spacious stone and glass bathrooms with rainfall showers plus sculptural soaking tubs that stand outside bathrooms in suites. Upscale in-room amenities will include D.S. & Durga bath products, an espresso and coffee bar, a locally curated beverage and snack bar, as well as advanced smart technology. Designed for entertaining, the Penthouse Suite includes a pool table and private terrace, offering an unmatched accommodation in San Antonio.
- Dining & Nightlife – Poised to shake up the San Antonio gastronomy scene, four restaurant and bar destinations will cross indoor and outdoor spaces, offering unmatched culinary and beverage options. A signature restaurant will be guided by a local celebrity chef and honor the pastoral beauty of foods that can be traced back to the land where they are naturally shepherded over time. It will offer a distinctly independent mood with a light color palette and walls of floor-to-ceiling windows offering beautiful natural sunlight and views of the River Walk. A rooftop restaurant and bar serving Mediterranean-inspired cuisine will captivate guests from its 20th-story perch with indoor-outdoor seating, twinkling city lights and all the magic of starry San Antonio nights. Here, some of the city’s best live music will also elevate the mood. Lobby and pool bars will round out the dining and drinking venues.
- Pool Deck Experience – An expansive pool deck on the fourth floor will offer a serene oasis exclusively for hotel guests and residents of The Arts Residences at Thompson San Antonio. Features will include a pool, inviting lounge areas, a pool bar, lively music activations on weekends and private luxury cabanas with lush greenery, a private water ledge, TV and dedicated VIP service.
- Spa, Wellness & Fitness – A full-service spa, spanning 5,000 square feet, will feature five treatment rooms, relaxation areas, a sauna and steam room. A sanctuary with a secrets concept will meet people where they are in their well-being journey and provide an entry point for wellness exploration. Highlights will include off-menu bespoke spa experiences created with local partners that showcase experimental artistry, the use of spa palettes for crafting skincare treatments artistically by hand, a range of wellness modalities, and fitness integrations including Drop the Beat yoga which pairs mood-elevating yoga with rhythm and sound. A 24-hour state-of-the-art fitness center will also be available to guests.
- Meetings, Events & Celebrations – A collection of curated artwork will anchor 10,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor flexible event space – complete with floor-to-ceiling windows and sweeping views of the scenic River Walk. The flexible space will encompass three outdoor venues surrounded by the River Walk, a 4,000-square-foot ballroom with multi-functional capabilities, an executive board room and 5,000 square feet of light-filled interior event space.
Thompson San Antonio joins recently opened and announced Thompson Hotels properties including, Thompson Dallas, which opened November 11, 2020, as well as Thompson Savannah, Thompson Buckhead, Thompson Hollywood and Thompson Austin, which are slated to open in 2021. Additional Thompson Hotels properties expected to open beyond 2021 include Thompson Denver and Thompson Houston.
Guided by its purpose of care, Hyatt’s multi-layered Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment further enhances its operational guidance and resources around colleague and guest safety and peace of mind. More information on Hyatt’s commitment can be found here: hyatt.com/care-and-cleanliness.
Nightly rates at Thompson San Antonio will start at $349. For more information or to book a stay, please call 210.876.1234 or visit www.thompsonsanantoniohotel.com.
The term “Hyatt” is used in the release for convenience to refer to Hyatt Hotels Corporation and/or one or more of its affiliates.
About Thompson San Antonio
The 162-room Thompson San Antonio is located in a new luxury, mixed-use development on the banks of the San Antonio River in the heart of the city’s vibrant River Walk. Featuring 33 suites with soaking tubs, wet bars and views of Texas Hill Country, the hotel will also offer a penthouse with pool table – the ultimate entertainment suite. Public spaces will include a full-service spa, a pool-deck bar with cabanas, and a rooftop bar with panoramic views of downtown. More than 5,000 square feet of light-filled event space will be anchored by a 4,000-square-foot ballroom. Oversized guest rooms will provide stylish sanctuaries in the heart of San Antonio, while a restaurant from a celebrated local chef will also draw guests and locals alike.
Situated in the vibrant Arts District, steps from the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts and within walking distance to The Alamo, Thompson San Antonio will bring something unique to the city – a visionary new destination that honors the rich culture and legacy of San Antonio while offering a fresh and contemporary experience rooted in the timeless now. The Thompson San Antonio and The Arts Residences development are being led by Houston-based developer DC Partners and San Antonio’s Universal Services Group. Powers Brown Architecture, a Houston-based firm, is the architect for the property, working in collaboration with Guadalajara-based interior design firm Amass & G, whose credits include Thompson Hotels’ award-winning The Cape resort in Cabo San Lucas.
About Thompson Hotels
Founded in 2001, Thompson Hotels is an award-winning boutique lifestyle hospitality brand with a collection of stunning, dynamic properties. Each of Thompson Hotels’ urban and resort locations offers a carefully layered environment that molds into its surrounding community. Guests are provided tailored stays with connections to world-class culinary offerings, arts and entertainment, and groundbreaking design. The Thompson portfolio of lifestyle hotels includes The Beekman and Gild Hall in New York City; Thompson Nashville; Thompson Seattle; Thompson Chicago; The Cape in Los Cabos, Mexico; Thompson Playa del Carmen in Riviera Maya, Mexico; Thompson Zihuatanejo on Mexico’s Pacific Coast; Thompson Washington D.C. in the Navy Yard neighborhood; and its newest property, Thompson Dallas, scheduled to open November 11, 2020. Hotels currently under development include Texas properties in San Antonio, Austin and Houston, as well as Thompson Hollywood, Thompson Denver, Thompson Buckhead and Thompson Savannah. Follow @ThompsonHotels on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for news and updates. For more information, please visit www.thompsonhotels.com.