- This event has passed.
Spring Break: Kids are Culture
During Spring Break 2019, the UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures will open the buildings of the Back 40 outdoor learning area. Each day features one of the 1800s Frontier-era buildings, plus the barn and one-room schoolhouse. Children and families will be able to explore the role of children on the Frontier as they participate in chores, games and other activities.
• Monday – Chores at the Log Cabin, including clothes washing, sweeping, garden work, churning butter and cleaning the rugs and quilts.
• Tuesday – Map making, flag folding, knot tying and military life at the fort
• Wednesday – Grind corn at the “metate” and grind herbs in a “molcajete” at the adobe house.
• Thursday – Another visit to the log house
• Friday – All buildings will be open.
When they’re done with chores, guests can take part in frontier games such as marbles, home-made kite flying, sack races, tossing washers and more.