Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
Coronavirus Updates

Coronavirus Updates

The safety of our guests is one of the reasons that San Antonio attracts 39 million visitors a year. Visit San Antonio, working with the San Antonio International Airport, Bexar County Office of Emergency Management and other partners, continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation.

More than 100 members of the general public have tested positive for COVID-19 as a result of exposure through travels outside of the state, through close contact with those travelers or community spread. They are quarantined and receiving treatment either in their homes or appropriate, isolated facilities of area hospitals. As with other cities in the U.S., more testing is occurring and as a result it is expected that more cases of exposure will be identified.

Several hotels, restaurants, attractions and cultural institutions are temporarily closed due to the local government’s restriction on gatherings of groups of more than 10 people and Mayor Ron Nirenberg’s “Stay Home, Work Safe” order. Restaurants are currently allowed to operate for drive-thru, delivery and take-out orders only. To see a list of restaurants offering these convenient dining options, click here.

Visitors to San Antonio can be assured the city will continue offering its renowned mix of family fun, historic and cultural attractions and delicious cuisine in full capacity once the current precautions are lifted.

As it has on many occasions in the past, San Antonio is proving to be a welcome place of respite for those in need with the quarantine of American travelers in China and cruise ships in military installations in the area. From assisting the victims of hurricanes to legally resettled refugees seeking relief from violence, war and human rights abuses, San Antonio has always shown a willingness to help.

Military, federal, county and local health authorities are handling the quarantine of international travelers so that no member of the general public or those visiting will come in contact with a hazardous situation.

Evacuees in San Antonio:

American cruise ship evacuees from aboard the Grand Princess are starting to leave their two-week, federally mandated quarantine at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in San Antonio.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reported March 24 that 97 evacuees had been released from quarantine that morning and the previous day. Another 18 people were expected to leave later that day. The rest will leave over the next several days.

Hundreds of Americans from China’s Hubei province and two cruise ships have been quarantined at Lackland since February. Of them, 21 became symptomatic and tested positive for the new coronavirus, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesperson. Five were from the Grand Princess ship.

The most recent group of evacuees at Lackland originally consisted of 149 Americans aboard the Grand Princess, the CDC spokesperson said. But after city and state officials said they only wanted Texans to be sent to San Antonio medical centers, where those who tested positive were treated, at least 25 evacuees from other states were eventually sent to finish quarantine in their home states.

For More Information:

San Antonio Restaurant Weeks To Go

U.S. Travel Association

City of San Antonio

Professional Convention Management Association

COVID-19 Global Cases by John Hopkins

San Antonio Mayor’s Public Health Emergency Declaration

Texas Governor’s State of Disaster Declaration

San Antonio Restaurant Community Emergency Fund

share this